top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Does my child need speech therapy?

Many children experience speech or language challenges as they grow. Some of these are a natural part of typical language development; others are more complicated issues that may or may not be associated with global developmental issues. Wherever your child is on the language development continuum, if intervention is needed, early intervention yields the best results.

What are some red flags?

Is it best to have my child screened early?

Yes.  As soon as you suspect a delay in any of the areas above, it is best to have a screening completed.  Screenings are offered free of charge at our office location in Burlington*.  You can find more information about screenings here.

*Screenings do not yield a written report

Is it best to have my child screened early?

Screenings are very abbreviated sessions that determine if a child could benefit from further evaluation or if a child’s level of performance is age appropriate and no further evaluation is needed. Screenings assess Language, Articulation, Voice and Fluency. Referrals to other professionals may be recommended.


If an area of concern is identified, a full speech/language evaluation will be recommended.  Expressions Speech is available to provide a full evaluation and the costs and expectations will be discussed before proceeding.

*Screenings do not yield a written report

What is involved in an Evaluation?

An evaluation allows a speech pathologist the opportunity to assess your child's development.  This is done through testing.  Testing can include a standardized test, observation through play, history information or parent report.  In most cases, it includes all four or any combination thereof. Through the evaluation, it will be determined if treatment is necessary.  Treatment cannot be initiated unless an evaluation has been completed.  Referrals to other professionals may be made if during the evaluation it is found that your child is having difficulties in areas that are outside the realm of practice for a speech pathologist.  This may include audiology, ENT, Occupational therapist, Physical Therapist, or orthodontist, etc.

bottom of page